Pest Control of Rainwater Collection Systems:
6 Simple Steps to prevent mosquitoes breeding and causing potential health risks.
Mosquitoes can breed in almost any standing water around the home. Ensure containers holding water around your home are regularly changed or emptied weekly.
RainHarvest Systems recommends all rainwater collection systems be equipped with a First Flush Water Diverter which is a simple accessory that diverts the first "flush" of rainwater most likely to carry contaminants and mosquito larvae from the roof.
Other debris and insect prevention attachments such as Leaf Eater and Leaf Beater downspout filters also help minimize mosquito breeding areas.
- Mozzie Stoppa can be installed in the tank wall using a Multi-tite Grommet
- Can be installed in the tank overflow pipe using a flexible pipe coupling (Fernco or similar, available at any hardware store)
- Double Self-cleaning seal with flaps that cannot be over-rotated and left open
- The Flap Valves also allow a flow of air over the surface of the water, increasing the oxygen level, which improves water quality
- 1/32" aperture (screen mesh)
- Grade 316 stainless steel screen mesh
Mosquitoes, insects and other pests (such as birds, frogs, snakes) are undesirable elements to have in a rainwater harvesting system and must be kept out of all pipe systems that lead to the water storage vessel and the vessel itself.
Mosquitoes are known to be responsible for the spread of many diseases. Mosquitoes breed in water and all breeding habitats must be eliminated.